The Student Bar Association is the representative student government for the School of Law at KU. Every KU Law student is a member of the Student Bar Association by virtue of being a student. SBA is essentially a self-supporting organization and receives limited financial support from the school. Therefore, we rely heavily on proceeds from our merchandise sales, donations at tailgates, and ticket sales to our various events.
SBA provides some funding for law school student organizations through Student Senate allocations. The SBA president serves as the chair of the Presidents’ Council to help unite the various groups and students, while members of the SBA General Board strive to make the student organizations work together to share ideas, debate, network and fund raise.
Every student has a vote in the yearly elections. The SBA Executive Board is comprised of five people: a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and an ABA representative. The SBA General Board is comprised of the five Exec Board members, the class officers from each class and an SJD representative. Elections are held in the spring semester for all board positions except 1L positions, which are held early in the fall semester.
Events that SBA hosts include: home football tailgates; Make a Difference Day; SBA Halloween party; TGITs; Barristers’ Ball; Race Ipsa (annual 5K); various charity drives and fundraisers throughout the year; and numerous networking events.
Mark your calendars for:
- Sept. 4: Tailgate for KU v. North Dakota State
- Sept. 11: Tailgate with Bell Folsom
- Sept. 13-17: Stress Free Week
- Sept. 25: Tailgate with the Topeka Bar Association, Kansas Bar Association and Johnson County Bar Association
- Sept. 27: 1L Class Officer Elections (mandatory informational meeting on Sept. 14)
- Oct. 2: Make a Difference Day (To sign up – and get a free T-shirt and food! – e-mail Kansas.email@example.com and make sure to include your T-shirt size. See Dean Wendy’s emails for more information.
- Oct. 29: SBA Halloween party
Keep an eye on KLFP.org for more events! For any questions, comments or concerns, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org!
Natasha Das, SBA president